Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Lil' Bit of Hometown History


The factoid that people find most fascinating when I tell them about my little hometown is the fact that the yellow line running down the center of the town's main street is the actual state line between Tennessee and Virginia.  The street is lined with American flags on both sides and has Tennessee state flags interspersed on one side and Virginia state flags mixed in on the other.  It is, of course, appropriately named - State Street.


This summer I had the rare opportunity to spend almost an entire week in my hometown of Bristol - a twin city.  My younger two kiddos were attending a Tennessee camp so my oldest-of-three and I hung out for the week.  I used some of this time to reminisce and revisit old stomping grounds while claiming the entire time that I was simply introducing her to events and places of my childhood.

In my younger years, I vividly remember trips to downtown Bristol.  Bristol, Tennessee and Bristol, Virginia are entirely separately run towns but share their downtown area.  Shoe shopping, eating a Buntings hot dog with chili, trips to JCPenney, piano lessons, and some of my very first movies are images that come to mind when I remember downtown Bristol. 

Each state, or side of the street, had it's own movie theatre.  The Paramount was Tennessee's box office and the Cameo was Virginia's.  I'm sure I've attended both and both have been closed for various periods of time. 

Opening night at the Paramount was in February of 1931.  Fifty cents would get an adult in to see a sundry of shows and acts.  The theatre's entertainment varied over the years but the last movie was reported being shown in 1979.  After being placed on the National Historic Register in 1985 and undergoing a major renovation, the theatre re-opened it's doors in 1991 and is still being used today.

The Cameo, on the other hand, hasn't fared quite as well.  From what I have read, even though it remained open and showing movies until 1990, it has long since sat neglected and empty other than an occasional attempt to use the space.  If the information I read is accurate though, some very ghostly and seedy lore are associated with the property.

During our visit to State Street, we decided to try a restaurant that I can't believe I had never visited.  I had heard about it's popularity so there was no time like the present to check it out.  The Burger Bar and it's classic decor has been serving up burgers and a variety of yummy fare to locals since 1942.  Of course, being that I love all things old, I instantly fell in love with the lunch counter, old stools and booths and the iconic "Burger Boy" atop their sign.  Since the inside was pretty full (all 20 seats or so) my oldest-of-three and I grabbed a little table outside.  She went for a burger (and I must say she added it to her top 3 list) but I went for the triple grilled cheese and sweet potato fries.  Let me just share the photo - it's speaks way better than I ever could about this incredible lunch treat!

Not only is this little Burger Bar an eatery treat, it does hold some interesting history to it or as some might say, lore.  Legend has it that the Burger Bar was the last stopping place of Hank Williams.  Supposedly, Charles Carr, Williams' driver, stopped here on their way from Alabama to Ohio on December 31, 1952.  Carr asked Williams if he would like something to eat, but Williams said, "No."  Later that evening in West Virginia, Carr noticed something was wrong and took Williams to the hospital.  Hank Williams was pronounced dead on January 1, 1953.  Now, it's difficult to say whether the legend is true.  But all I do know for certain is that I am incredibly glad that Williams didn't eat anything at the Burger Bar.  His death so soon afterward could have been the end to the restaurant and I would have completely missed out on the delish triple grilled cheese!




Why in the world would a country music legend be driving through Bristol?  I'm sure that seems odd to most.  To me however, it seems entirely plausible.  Bristol is the birthplace of country music.  Yes, I said Bristol - not Nashville.  Many that aren't familiar with my little hometown are surprised by that bit of history.  In 1927, a man by the name of Ralph Peer made a recording offer to the Victor Talking Machine Company and soon chose Bristol as his home base to draw southern singers and their music out of the mountains of Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia.  He succeeded and his numerous recordings are what we now know as the Bristol Sessions.  His office was 408 State Street, Bristol, Tennessee.  In 1998, the United States Congress passed a resolution recognizing Bristol, Tennessee as the "Birthplace of Country Music." 



The last stop of my little hometown history train with my oldest-of-three was by a structure that has always held a certain appeal to me.  I'm sure, like many Bristoleans, I have taken it for granted, but after now living in various locales in the USA I understand and appreciate its uniqueness.  The Stone Castle is a football stadium used by the local high school. 

What even I learned on this visit was that it once was the stadium used by all four Bristol high schools - Bristol Tennessee High, Bristol Virginia High, and Slater and Douglas High Schools, the Black high schools prior to desegregation.  Funds to build the Stone Castle were entirely provided by the Works Progress Administration in an effort to provide people with jobs during a very bleak time in United States history. The stones for the project came from the nearby Beaver Creek.  The structure was dedicated on October 8,1936 and has become an iconic structure in my hometown.


 





















Two major railroads companies helped Bristol gain its ground and aided in it's birth as a town.  I've read that at one time it's population was larger than other cities that now could swallow it.  The Bristol I know is more of a sleepy little family town than a bustling city, I agree, it was a good place to live.  Two years ago, the town celebrated the 100th annivarsary of one of its most recognizable landmarks.  Who could miss it at 60 feet wide and 35 feet high?  I must say, sometimes I surely do miss it.


4 comments:

  1. Oh Tracey I love this and it brings back sweet memories for me as well. And I must say, the next time you come it we will need to eat at the Burger Bar as I have never been there. Can you believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heading to Rhythm and Roots again this year. See ya there!
    http://www.bristolrhythm.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish we could! Always on the soccer field that same weekend -

      Delete
  3. Great blog Tracey. I must say I don't remember any of this locations. It has been 28 years since I have lived in Bristol and I was only 13 when we left so didn't get to hit downtown very often with the family. Good to know more about them though. :)

    ReplyDelete