Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Taste Buds


Each time I visit the same restaurant, I find myself ordering the same item from the huge sundry of menu selections.  I often think about trying something new, but then I just stick with the tried and true.  I thought maybe this was a trait peculiar to myself; however, when dining with my family and others, I see that it's more common than not.  Upon reflection, I think this behavior has more to do with human nature than it does anything else.  We are, like the adage says, creatures of habit.

My brother-in-law made a statement this week that has stuck with me.  His words were, in effect, we all have unique taste buds.  Now, while I have been blessed with an abundance of buds of the sweet variety and my hubster the salty, I don't think this is what my brother-in-law meant by his statement.

This past weekend was filled with wonderful family events, even some that really aren't on my palate.  For the past four or five years now, my two nephews have tickled my taste buds with something I had never before tasted - Demolition Derby.  While camouflage spandex, marriage proposals on a dirt race track, and crazily crashed cars (fires included) aren't dishes I would have normally selected from my menu of life, I must say that I have been pleasantly surprised at how entertained I have been at these events!  There's nothing quite like it and I mean that in a good way, I think.

Our family Derby weekend festivities do not include mint juleps, large hats, or even hot browns; but they do include a camaraderie like none other, including food, campfire, and laughter.  It has become a weekend of traditions.  My favorite one being the names on the demo cars.  Those that assist with the car preparation in some way get their names on the car.  I can't believe I'm saying this, but my name made the trunk of my nephew's car this year.  They've deemed me official Derby photographer.  Oh, how I'm chuckling as I type. 

Again, demolition derby?  Not something I would have ever dreamed I would attend.  But had I chosen to ignore this out-of-my-box event, my taste buds would have been a little deprived.  Makes me wonder, what other of life's menu selections am I missing?

If these photos don't vicariously tickle your taste buds; I at least hope they tickle your funny bone!


My nephew won fan's choice for this on-the-wall, off-the-wall manuever!








Can you read the words on the back of this car?  I would say that he pretty much succeeded.




I love this shot.  The cars are enveloped in smoke and the firemen are unphased!


Can you believe that his car was one of the last three running in the final heat?  Craziness!






1 comment:

  1. I love this! It was so much fun. Wouldn't be as much fun without you all! Thank you for coming and for all your pictures.

    ReplyDelete